The Luxton Home, Tanglewood and Beaver Lodge – three historic homes owned by the Eleanor Luxton Historical Foundation – are located on Beaver Street in Banff. Beaver Street was one of Banff’s first residential streets, home to many of Banff’s earliest personalities, business people and community leaders, and is probably the most intact historic streetscape of this extent remaining in the town of Banff.
In 2002 the Town of Banff designated and protected the Luxton Residence and the adjacent properties, Tanglewood and Beaver Lodge, as Municipal Historic Resources in accordance with the Alberta Historical Resources Act and the Town of Banff Heritage Resource Policy. All of Banff’s designated historic resources will be listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
The Luxton House
Built in about 1905, it was home to Banff’s Luxton family for 90 years. Norman Luxton, Georgina McDougall Luxton and their daughter Eleanor all played important roles in the development and character of Banff.
In 1883, during the construction of the railway through the Rockies, a siding was established at the base of Cascade Mountain. Tanglewood is believed to have been built here around 1887 by Fred Woodworth, the region's first postmaster, and used as the National Park post office. It was later moved to Beaver Street in Banff, and is known as Banff's oldest house.
Beaver Lodge has been home to hundreds. Built and owned by the Luxton family, who resided at 206 Beaver Street, this eight bedroom log structure is typical of early Banff rooming houses.